To illustrate what I find odd in Mike's post (below) I'll suggest the
following modification of it. To be clear, this is suggested merely to
illustrate a point and possibly foster useful discussion.

On the <lugged steel> wannabe <retro grouches>... I see at least a dozen a
day. I live <in an aging upper middle class neighborhood> and they ride
their bikes <to the coffee shop> all day long.  <Highend custom steel> bike
with flat pedals and running shoes and mirrors.  At least they don't have
 those goofy <plaid bicycle bags>!  I'm glad they are out riding but the
need to "belong" is strong.

Cheers and safe riding!

-Jack