It's rather sad that so many new (ie, who came to the sport only post
late-'80s) cyclists will never know the mixed blessings of dt shifters,
friction shifting, clips 'n' straps 'n' slotted cleats. Of course, there
was all sorts of cycling bullshite way back even before I started --
ankling; "tired" frames; no socks because that interfered with the
exquisitely perfect fit of the cycling shoe; etc etc etc; but it's too bad
that the young'uns grow up knowing only indexingk 10+ speeds, and crabon
fibre'. At the very least, one appreciates clipless pedals after one has
worn slotted cleats on a mountain bike. (The next evolutionary shelf seems
to be, no retention.)

Still, there is much in the old ways and old kit that is worth keeping --
such as down tube shifters, and not shifting so goddam often.

I started being "serious" about bikes -- that is, thinking of myself as a
"cyclist" (instead of the Rivendellian ideal of "just riding") and learning
eagerly from the "pro's", and building my own bikes from frame + parts, at
about age 15 (1970); just about when Eddy was starting his meteoric rise.
I'm very glad to have used the best of both worlds.

Still, "your right arm must get a workout" is a particularly ignorant
comment!

Patrick Moore, who shifted thousands of trouble free miles with Delrin
Prestige in and around Nairobi, Kenya.