This is interesting, and illustrates the difficulty of dealing with
shimmy.  I use the Tubus Duo low rider (no hoop, just 2 loose pieces) and
have loaded it with Ortleib large panniers (10-12 lbs each).  Above that is
a Nitto small front rack supporting an Acorn boxy rando bag (the early,
smaller one), usually stuffed full if traveling.  No rear bag, just a seat
wedge with small tools, tube, etc..  This set-up has never shimmied.

A couple of possible variables from Clayton's set-up:  my Atlantis has a 40
mm trail fork (stock is around 65 mm) and the IRD roller bearing headset.
Depending on who you believe, lowering trail either magnifies or reduces
the tendency to shimmy (helpful, no?) but consensus is the roller bearing
headset has more drag & so may dampen oscillation, helping reduce shimmy.

I agree with Clayton's hypothesis about rack wiggle & fork twist.  Since
shimmy is an oscillation, minor movements could set up major reactions.
Like Clayton, my ride was more stable once I started loading the front,
even with my old junky, definitely flexy aluminum low rider, stock fork &
headset.  I did still encounter shimmy.  The randomness of it spurred me on
to look for a reliable solution.

dougP