Hugh:

In the interest of science, further testing required.  David & I are
contemplating doing some tests with his bike.  If we can coordinate it, you
might want to join us with your Atlantis.  I did not know your Atlantis was
also an '03.  I would guess ours are from the same batch or really close.
My s.n. is 519; take a look under your BB to see what yours is.  I have a
couple of ideas that may be worth exploring.  We're thinking about the
weekend of June 14 when REI has their big gear sale in Tustin.

dougP