I'm so sorry to hear about the theft.  It's horrible that we can't just
park a bike and relax without feeling the need to haul around a u-lock and
wheel cable.  I hope someone reports the bike and it is returned to you.  I
also wish I had suggestions for a single speed replacement but I have
little experience in that area.  I know Handsome bases a lot of their line
on Grant's Bridgestone designs.  Their "Fredward" was a fun bike to test
ride and it has cantis like your SimpleOne
(http://www.handsomecycles.com/products/fredward-green-beret-frameset?variant=1272300353).

Grant had a suggestion in either Just Ride or the Reader to hook your
helmet around the frame and wheel.  The idea is to at least tangle up the
wheel long enough to foil a grab and go theft if you are nearby.  I tend to
do this if I'm only going a few feet away to grab something.  Still not
often comfortable with that option in the bike-theft crazy bay area so I've
been looking for a compact, u-lock alternative that would fit in a
Sackville Saddlesack x-small.  Does anyone know of a good alternative?  I
was thinking of either a small kryptonite cable with a padlock (Kwikset
makes one you can match to your housekey) but I can't find a short one.  I
also found
this:
http://www.amazon.com/RockBros-Theft-Chain-Folding-Hamburg/dp/B00MN52JR2/ref=sr_1_74?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1433076070&sr=1-74

 Has anyone had any experience with this lock?  My concern is that, with
that many joints, it may be easily defeatable.

Hope you are reunited with your SimpleOne.

John