On 06/12/2015 05:33 PM, Edwin W wrote:
I think that Jan does a great job of disclosing and being honest in reviews AND having a business that runs on a certain kind of biking introduces a bias.. which is why he should disclose! It is impossible to measure this bias, we all have to work out in our mind how much he is biased. In my mind, things like the assessment of clipless pedal and going up short hills involves a grain of salt because it is not as rigorous as some of his other testing. A really good test would be to randomize a bunch of different kinds of cyclists to clipless and flats for each ride over a long period of time involving lots of different kinds of cycling and look at the average speeds with and without. But who is going to conduct that? What outcome would matter the most? Speed differential up a hill? Over a week of commuting? Over a year?

Let's face it: those who like "flat pedals" - pedals without retention devices - aren't after "performance" gains that can be measured objectively. They're after comfort and convenience. Some riders can make them work quite effectively, and are happy to accept whatever objective performance deficits they may have.

I have flat BMX pedals (albeit, without pins) on my shopper. I would never ride long distances on such a pedal: my feet slip off, and they often sit crooked on the pedals and I end up stepping on the crank arm or the chain stay. I'm very happy to have a pedal retention system take care of positioning my feet, while allowing me to lift my foot without worrying about it losing its place on the pedal or coming off entirely. I doubt the lifting of my feet substantially adds to power, as die hard advocates proclaim, but that's not the only reason to do it.

I'm surprised this discussion has had so much staying power. It's a relatively trivial issue, as far as I'm concerned.