From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of olofst...@gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, June 13, 2015 8:56 AM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [RBW] Re: BQ to publish study of pedal retention usefulness in
Summer issue

Steve wrote (and Patrick more added some interesting comments):
Let's face it: those who like "flat pedals" - pedals without retention devices
- aren't after "performance" gains that can be measured objectively.  They're
after comfort and convenience.  Some riders can make them work quite
effectively, and are happy to accept whatever objective performance deficits
they may have.

I have flat BMX pedals (albeit, without pins) on my shopper.  I would never
ride long distances on such a pedal: my feet slip off, and they often sit
crooked on the pedals and I end up stepping on the crank arm or the chain stay.
 I'm very happy to have a pedal retention system take care of positioning my
feet, while allowing me to lift my foot without worrying about it losing its
place on the pedal or coming off entirely.
I doubt the lifting of my feet substantially adds to power, as die hard
advocates proclaim, but that's not the only reason to do it.

I'm surprised this discussion has had so much staying power.  It's a relatively
trivial issue, as far as I'm concerned.

I don´t know your respective bicycling history but methinks this is to a high
degree a brain thing. When learning a new thing the brain grows new synapses to
cope. This takes time. At age 46 I became obsessed with dancing; quick-step,
tango, slowfox, rumba, chacha, that sort of thing, also lindy hop. Trained
maybe 8-10 hours per week for some years. I´m not without talent but it took
some three years before I could call myself a good dancer, the synapses had to
grew first.

The same with cycling. I started to ride intensively at age 5 and have never
stopped (now 72). Didn´t meet retention until over 30. I´m a natural spinner
and rides both roads and trails. On flat rubber pedals, never got enamoured by
retention. This comes very natural and effortless. Can´t remember when a foot
slipped.

May it be that your brain over time grews connections to cope effectively with
the system you´re using and that changing system can feel strange and
inefficient for a long time, maybe years, until the new system literally grows
on you?

Olof Stroh
Uppsala Sweden
where it doesn´t get dark at night this time of the year