I've been using whatever tubeless tape that came with the wheels (they were
bought second-hand). It isn't cloth tape. The bead doesn't seem to seat
uniformly all the way around the rim, and dips below the edge in portions
of the circumference.

FWIW, my Babyshoe Pass tires mount easier than the Hetres, with some but
negligible runout once inflated. I've tried two different sets of Hetres,
and they all stay at least a little lumpy no matter what I do.

Since I'm new to supple tires, I'm new to this "problem". I'm used to tires
(esp. with wire beads) just popping on and off you go with a perfectly
round tire..

KJ