I personally wish I would have listened to the wisdom of the group when I
joined this forum in '08.  I would have saved a lot of time and money...

I originally had 46cm Noodles on my Hilsen, but found the drops unusable at
the time as they felt 'way too low' and the 46cm was wide enough that my
forearms hit the tops when I was in the drops - that was weird.  I was also
coming from years of flat bar mtb riding, and hadn't ridden in drops since
the 80s. I then went down the long slow spiral of "cockpit madness" trying
porteur bars (liked, but numbed hands over 50 miles), albatross (weird
curve angle for my wrists), moustache (nope - too few positions).  After
several years of experimentation, when I started doing longer rides (100,
200km), going to Nitto 115 (plain old drops) I had the revelation that a
narrow drop works really well.

I ended up finally on 42cm Noodles (nirvana), but, on the recent Oregon
Outback I tried 44cm Noodles on my Hunqa to get more leverage and, while
they kept my hands happy like my narrower noodles, they didn't give me
quite the leverage to feel in control on some of the fast gravel descents
with a good load in low-riders.  Perhaps 46 or 48 Noodles - yes back to the
beginning? I also realize that most of the time, my aero position is
putting my hands on the flats close to the stem, bending my elbows, and
dropping my body down.  I almost never use the drops, but they are nice
when I'm doing a fast descent into the wind on gravel or road.  They also
allow me to stretch my back out a bit more.

The following is a summary of some things I've learned:

1. Drops give you the more positions for your back and hand pressure
relief, as well as allowing control and aero positions when you are riding
into the wind
2. Narrow bars work well with "easier steering bikes" a-la low trail like
my Toussaint, or when used with higher trail bikes on the groomed road with
light loads
3. Gravel and higher trail requests more leverage (wider bars) for
confidence, of which the Albastache is more ideal for me due to the brake
position in the front (where hands are when descending fast), and the good
wrist angle I get in the curves compared to the Albatross
4. I wasn't super comfortable in drops until started riding longer
distances, and improving core strength helped a lot - pilates is good,
easy, and doesn't require a gym membership or equipment
5. All this is my opinion only - you may have the opposite experience...

Brian Hanson
Seattle, WA