I heartily disagree with the advice and/or rules to walk on the left side
against traffic, at least in my own urban context.

I have walked thousands of miles to and from work in the last few years on
city sidewalks, and it gradually became clear that nearly every time I have
had an incident with a driver was when I was walking on the left side - the
biggest single danger I encounter as a pedestrian is from drivers who are
leaving a driveway or cross street and looking to their left for oncoming
traffic, and do not look to the right for pedestrians who might be coming
from the opposite direction of traffic. Fortunately, this is a pretty
predictable situation, but I prefer to walk on the right side of the street
whenever I can. Walking is not much different from cycling in this regard.

James Black
Los Angeles, CA