On 07/06/2015 09:53 AM, Eric Norris wrote:
I've wondered that myself, so I asked a cycling expert why it was dangerous to
ride against traffic. He said a primary reason is that cars are less likely to
see you when they are making turns. A driver entering a road will tend to look
to his/her left, where cars are coming from. If you're riding against traffic,
you'll be approaching the driver from the wrong side, and they'll be more
likely to turn onto the road and hit you.

Not only will you be where drivers don't expect you, but your speed will be added to the speed of the vehicle. Suppose you're riding at 15 mph and the vehicle is doing 30. If they're overtaking, you'll be subject to a 15 mph impact, but if you're going in opposite directions it'll be a 45 mph impact; and note, the v is squared.