As others have mentioned, the biggest issue will be finding a compatible
front derailleur.

Shimano STI shifters work with road front derailleurs, not with mountain
ones.  Road triples are optmized around a larger crankset, like 50/39/30,
and generally have longer cages that could hit the chainstay, since you'll
be setting the FD up quite low.

The IRD Alpina front derailer that Riv sells seems to be optimized for
smaller rings, so it may be your best bet for a compact triple.  If you run
a double, the CX-70 seems like a good option.

Personally, I've never been satisfied with the STI or Ergo triple setups
I've tried.  Too awkward, too much effort, hard to trim, and generally
subpar front shift performance (I'm satisfied with STI/Ergo double
shifting).  My favorite shifter for a triple is the Silver bar-end.  It's
smoother than the Shimano bar-ends and seems to have a bit more cable pull,
which equals to shorter, stronger shift lever motions.  Conversely, I'm
beginning to prefer Shimano bar-ends in indexed mode for the rear shifter.
 In my experience, the friction thumbscrew is unreliable and always too
tight or too loose.  I'm about to set up both my main bikes in such a
Frankenstein combination, Silver on the left and Shimano on the right.

Regarding cross-chain issues, a properly set up double will allow you to
shift to each extreme (big/big and small/small) without the chain rubbing
on the front derailer (modern double STIs have additional "trim" positions
in between).  That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to ride in those
combinations.

Tim