Michael's advice is all good. In my case, both my wife and I have ridden
horses, so we _always_ mount and dismount on the left side of the bike.
Another helpful hint for the captain ... if you can sit in the top tube
while straddling, and push back against the nose of the saddle, it helps
stabilize the bike while the stoker mounts or dismounts. I always put both
feet on the ground at full stops, and the stoker only takes feet off the
pedals if I announce a dismount.

In the corners, the stoker should try to stay in line with the captain,
trying not to lean in more than the captain or to resist the lean the
captain initiates. This is one of those areas where the stoker really has
to develop trust in the captain, and the captain has to earn that trust
with smooth, safe riding and clear communication of the upcoming turn
direction and severity. The stoker should give appropriate hand signals,
and get both hands back on the bars prior to leaning into the corner.

Finally, my better half would say the very most important thing for the
captain is to announce bumps. An experienced single rider unweights the
saddle without even thinking about it, and the tandem captain has 50+ inch
chain stays to absorb the bumps. The stoker, on the other hand, can't see
the bumps coming and has to deal with the inertia of the entire rig hitting
her in the coccyx. So, call the bumps in time for both of you to stop
pedaling and unweight the saddles. It'll spare your wheels some misery, too.