My first post, yay!

I am currently considering the purchase of a used bike from another forum
member. His bike has a unique feature in that the top tube is short. 56cm dt
and tt. My body has a unique, and sometimes annoying, feature and that I have
tyrannosaurus Rex arms. – – about 2 inches shorter then all of my shirts and
all steering wheel columns.

 Historically I rode a 56 cm frame. 54 was too small 58 too big. However,
Rivendell sizes frames  more generously. This means that a 56 cm frame may
actually be "too small" but then there's the thing with the short top tube in
my short arms.

The seller and I have about the same PBH mine's 83+ he's 83-, our arms are the
same length: around 32"(sleeve length). But I'm 4" taller--mostly in the torso.
(5'6" vs 5'10).

So, what do you think? Is this a "sure you will be fine" or "no, it won't work"
situation?

When I was younger and more "limberer" I was always way too stretched out, but
I could do it (My custom frame builder thought it was a good thing at the
time). That's never going to happen again.

Of course a shorter stem is in the works as well. I have read all the
literature on the website and I've seen all the measures. If I was ordering a
new bike I might-could go with the 58 cm frame instead. But I'm looking for
input in the context of a used bike that is lovely, less expensive, needs to be
ridden and may fit my silly arms.