Yes . . . .  ditto of what Steve highlighted on what you originally said
, "never have the chain in this combination " !

The 26 to me, is really more of a "bailout" ring anyways , lol .  The 40
can use the entire cogset so the 26 would only be used when/if I really
needed it .  Tiny rings feel rather odd to ride in anyways , at least for
me, , fine for those times when I needed it uphill but I'd never want to
ride it on the flats .