On 08/10/2015 08:27 AM, Garth wrote:

Also , if you really want to run 5 or 6 speeds, I'd recommend a dedicated FW hub and have a wheel built. Phil Wood has both 6 and 7 speed FW hubs. I use a 6 on my 7 on one bike , 7 on the other. You can still get decent albeit lower end Shimano 14-28 6sp FW's for under $15. IRD also recently released re-engineered "Classica" FW's in a host of ranges from 5 to 7 speed.

Does Phil Wood still make a freewheel hub? I was just looking at their web site and could find only cassette rear hubs. Also, if you were starting from scratch and having a new wheel built with a new hub, it may be worth considering the improvements to be gained in the cassette design. There is a reason freewheel hubs went out of style: problems such as bent and broken axles and difficulty in removing freewheels that are solved in the freehub design. Of course, if period-correctness is important, then one should definitely stick with freewheels.