http://road.cc/content/news/160492-chris-boardman-films-cycle-safety-video-instructing-drivers-how-pass-safely

Boardman has smart things to say about cyclists' safety in traffic.

Viewers complained when Boardman was seen riding around Manchester in a
dark coat and jeans.

“I had the audacity to ride a bicycle in normal clothes and was pilloried
for it,” he said.

“I dressed as I would to drive down the shops. I have nothing against
helmets.

Video: Close-passing, ultra-sweary driver takes a tumble after chasing and
kicking out at cyclist

18 things that cyclists hate

“If I go on a long ride I wear one – sometimes out of habit, often on a
mountain bike – but I am under no illusion about the effect on my safety. I
manufacture the things. In an incident with a car they will have almost no
effect.

“They are being used to deflect from making real decisions and I won’t
waste air time talking about them. The danger for me is being hit by a
vehicle doing something it shouldn’t. We should focus on how we stop
accidents not what happens to people who have them.”

He said that cycling around town was a clear winner for health and the
environment.

“We are drowning in data – economic, health, pollution, you pick any
battleground you want and using cycling as a mode of transport for short
journeys wins hands down,” he adds.

“The only way to get people to exercise more is to get them to include it
in their daily life. It is not about cyclists but communities. We need
infrastructure and there need to be laws to protect people. At the moment
the easiest way to kill somebody is to do it in a car with the minimum
penalty. As a logical person I am desperately frustrated that we are even
talking about this. The fact that we have to push for it is ludicrous.”