I think the millions of acres of CA forests going up in smoke (heading
to Utah!) in recent years might be a touch more destructive than
letting bikes in Wilderness areas.  :-)
Open it up, all of it.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM, dstein <davecst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Saw this today and curious of the group's thoughts on this:
> http://www.sustainabletrailscoalition.org/
>
> On the one hand, all they are aiming to do is lift a blanket ban on bikes in
> federal wilderness areas and trails so that land manager can make a decision
> on whether bikes would be allowed on a per park/wilderness area basis. It
> would not, for instance, automatically allow bikes on the AT, and that seems
> like a reasonably far fetched thing anyway. But would allow to keep things
> like the Continental Divide open, and also open up other wilderness areas
> that are much less traveled by foot than the AT.
>
> But on the other hand, things like the discouraging news of the Oregon
> Outback this year make me wonder if opening the doors too wide is a bad
> thing--not that that was a federal wilderness issue, but shows what can
> happen when too many eager cyclists take to some unsupervised bike routes.
>
> As for trail impact, there seems to be an argument either way as to whether
> bikes have more (or as much as) an impact as hikers. With riding in muddy
> trails being the biggest concern.
>
> Especially interested here since the RBW crowd seems to generally be super
> responsible and smart about hitting trails and stealth camping where bikes
> aren't typically allowed.
>
> For or against?

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal