I worked with a state park and staff to conduct the first state mountain
bike championships and fat tire festival back where I used to live. The
rangers' documentation of the improvement of conditions left by pack
animals in soft trail conditions by the riders of guided trail rides and
the race circuit was astonishing...unless you've ever ridden a bike after
pack animals.

I think the mode of transport gets a bad rap when it's the rider(s) that
needs to be condemned or condoned. I can only relate generally that at a
time (in the past) a  USDA ranger, in a bar, in a very small south Colorado
town near my good friend's longtime family cabin pretty clearly instructed
us to enter the proximate wilderness area and ride to a certain creek to be
able to cast a dry fly for some trout and return the same day. We avoided
leaving any more pack animal hoof-craters and did not have to overnight in
the borders of the wilderness area. Spar City can be pretty remote by
itself.

Situational discretion seems like a no-brainer when conservation is
involved, blanket edicts don't belong in the SOP of the varied wild lands
we are fortunate to have within the confines of this nation. I'd include a
picture of my friend from the end of our bootleg bike trip to the summit
lake and subsequently fed creek, but I'm sure that I'd be violating some
law that would be specified officiously if I did. It was absolutely
brilliant though.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh