On August 29-30, 2015, I did this solo overnighter using a modified version
of Meade Anderson's "Lee's Retreat" ride, along the lightly-used Civil War
motor route. The new 55cm black & cream Sam Hillborne tourer with a new
front HAR performed in an exemplarily fashion!

I left Farmville, Va. Saturday morning headed to the High Bridge:

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/high-bridge-trail.shtml#general_information

Then, I was headed west to Holliday Lake State Park, near Appomattox Court
House Historic Park. 40 miles, total for Day One. One gravel section for
the day.

Overnighting there, I woke early, visited the lake briefly for morning
light, had breakfast and headed toward Appomattox Court House Park on
gravel roads (and one stream ford) where I turned back south east and
Pamplin City, a "ghost town", the western end of the High Bridge Rail Trail
20 miles to my van at Farmville. Total: 45 miles for Day Two.

Total mileage was 85 miles, plus about 6 miles for goofing around the park
and a couple side trips for sightseeing.

With temps between the low 60's and mid-80's and no chance for rain, who
could ask for more in August in Virginia?  This area is very pretty, low
traffic
and quickly becoming one of my favorites within striking distance from
Richmond, Va. I can recommend the area for anyone within 100 miles of
Farmville or Appomattox.

*https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecrazy-paul/albums/72157657564404759
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/bikecrazy-paul/albums/72157657564404759>*

Paul Germain