Tim is right about the liabilities of the Silver shifters, principally the
loosening tension bolt and consequent breakage of the tension washer; and,
also, their fragility when the bike falls over on them.

The Power Ratchet design used a locknut to hold the tension just right. But
you can compensate for the lack of this on the Silvers by using blue
Loctite. With that, mine stay adjusted indefinitely -- too much so, in
fact, since I Loctited the left after making it too tight, and now it's
hard to back it off. But I don't shift rings much.

The absolute ne plus ultra of shifters would be a Silver with that part
reinforced where the lever is cut back to accommodate the pawl; and with a
locknut added to the mounting screw.

Of course, the great liability of the PRs was that the locknut,
proprietary, always got lost.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Tim Gavin <tim.ga...@littlevillagemag.com>
wrote:

> I'm less than satisfied with right/rear Silver shifters.
>
> I've tried two (used and new, with both gray and black plastic discs) and
> encountered the same problem: the tension screw is very finicky and doesn't
> stay in place very long.
>
> Within a couple hundred miles, the screw will back out a fraction of a
> turn and I'll lose shifter friction, resulting in an abrupt shift to high
> gear.  When I attempt to re-tension the screw, I invariably over-tighten it
> and the effort to move the shift lever is too high (I cracked one gray
> plastic disc this way, in the middle of a tour).  Unfortunately, the "sweet
> spot" of just-enough tension doesn't last long until it loosens again.
>
> Grant has alluded to this in previous Reader/Blug articles, and says that
> messing with the tension bolt is a minor issue that's easy to remedy.  My
> opinion differs; I find it more frustrating.
>
> That said, I don't feel that it's such a problem that I expect Riv to
> refund me.  It's a foible of the design of these shifters, not really a
> failure.
>
> I prefer to use Shimano bar-ends for rear shifting on my bikes.
>
> However, I am very satisfied with the shifting of the front/left Silver
> shifter, specifically with triple cranks.
> The Silver front shifter seems to throw more cable than the Shimano ones.
> This means that I have to move the shift lever less to effect a front
> shift, which gives the shift lever a more direct, commanding feel.
> The front Shimano bar-ends require lots of lever travel and end up near a
> 10 o'clock position when in the biggest ring, whereas the Silver is still
> at 8:30 in that situation.
>
> I recently took the right Silver shifter off my Riv and set it up with a
> Shimano 10s index shifter (with XT M772 RD and 11-32 cassette), but I kept
> the left Silver shifter for the front derailleur (IRD Alpina-D with Campy
> Racing T crank 52/42/30).  My KOM is set up with 9 speed Shimano bar end
> shifters, and I plan on replacing the front Shimano shifter with a Silver
> bar-end.
>
> FYI, the bar-end pod on the 10 speed Shimano shifters is black and
> oh-so-slightly different than the standard pod on the 7/8/9 speed Shimanos
> and Silvers.  The 10 speed Shimano shift lever fits fine on the 7/8/9 speed
> pod, BUT the 10th click is locked out.  The top of the 10 speed pod has a
> little less material and this allows the lever to reach the 10th click.  If
> you want to use the 10 speed Shimano bar ends, you have to use the black
> pod (included).
>
> Tim

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten