On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 8:17 AM, JoelMatthews <joelmatth...@mac.com> wrote:

> > The real question is not about efficiency so much as about trade-offs
> > between two incompatible sets of desirable qualities. I was trying to
> > make that point to the original poster. The inefficiency difference
> > between a ig hub and a derailleur drivetrain are IMO and IME too small
> > for the everyday casual rider to notice.
>
> Or small enough that other benefits outweigh any efficiency
> drawback.

Exactly.

If I, the hard rider, the time trialer, the can't-go-slow man, ever fall low
enough to build up once again a coasting (!!!), multispeed (!!!!!!) bike, I
will probably choose an IG hub drivetrain.

--- I'm just waiting for an IG hub with a QR.

Patrick "is he really serious?" Moore

Of which speaking: those big, asymmetrical wingnuts that the old, hardmen,
Brit club riders used to use before Tullio's things got hold of them: I
suppose they were tight enough to keep the wheel from slipping?

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM