So thanks to the moderators for putting my first reply in so late it makes
me look like  moron. :-P

WRT to the OP's question: I agree that the problem is probably that the
cables are too tight. Backing off both adjustors half a turn or so will
probably make a big difference. Of course, the Rohloff is never as
quick/positive as a well set-up indexing derailleur, but I find that a
half-revolution of "soft" pedaling is enough to allow a positive change,
even between seven and eight.

I have found, though, that on hot days my hands are sweaty enough that
turning the slick rubber shifter can be tough. I eventfully glued some
skateboard tape onto the shifter. This looks like hell, but works a treat.

HTH,

Noel