Just to be clear, the Sugino crankset I linked to really is designed for a
single chainring, but there is a slight shelf (? not sure of the term) on
the inside of the spider for an inner chainring to sit. It doesn't come as
far inboard as a regular double, but it is enough to keep the chainring in
place. I can take photos this evening if anyone would like a close up look
of this.
David
Chicago