Eric,

The numbers are something like 600 deaths a year from cycling, 4000 a year from
walking and 30,000 a year from motor vehicles. The numbers doing these
activities vary wildly of course. If you know several people who were killed on
bikes last year, you know several of the 600 or so who were killed. I think
most people recognize that biking is more dangerous (in the U.S.) per mile, but
it is closer per hour in this mode of transport. I think biking sober, slowly
(under 15 mph) and with traffic laws is a very safe mode of transport. Safer
with a helmet. Like these other fairly safe modes of transport.
Think of the 30,000 deaths and 280,000 brain injuries from the relatively safe
practice of driving. Many would have benefitted from a helmet even though it
seems nuts to recommend it for all drivers. Many of them have loved ones that
are caring for them. My sons teacher hit a deer and the antlers pierced her
daughter's skull. She is well now, thank goodness. That is one type of injury
that would have been prevented by a helmet, but ice never heard it suggested.
I think the same for bikers: not so dangerous to need a helmet if done
according to traffic laws (including lights at night) on city streets and
sober.
I think it is best to advocate for more safety measures for vulnerable
populations and in more dangerous environments. Does everyone think that bike
riders in the Netherlands should all don helmets, in the safest cycling
environment in the world? Some may, but most would admit that biking can be
done safely without a helmet in certain situations, but others are riskier and
a helmet may be considered. Jonathan Brandt's picture the other day, leaning in
hard and going fast without a helmet reminded me that most doing that then
didn't wear helmets and most doing it now do. Probably should.

Everything in moderation! Now the moderators can shit this thread down before I
post any more!

Wishing you all the safest of travels, regardless of the mode or helmet status,
Edwin