I remember Irv Weisman from my days with the New York Cycle Club. When I
knew him (early 90s) he was not known for his helmet, but more for his
obsession with gearing that would not destroy his knees. As a relatively
young speedster at that time, I looked at his charts with amusement. What
with today's compacts, subcompacts, micro mini nano compacts, etc. he was
obviously a man ahead of his time!

No doubt people on bikes fall down and hurt themselves. Even on an innocent
low speed jaunt to the supermarket or a ride around the block. And no
matter how good a rider you are, you can't eliminate the unforeseen such as
an oil spill or a squirrely squirrel. Having a helmet on your head during
one of these incidents might be helpful.

I've experienced a couple of high speed crashes while racing. One was
particularly bad, in that I cannot remember the entire day--I recall my
friend picking me up, then I was suddenly pulling back up to my block that
night. Apparently I was involved in a crash on a slight downhill sprint to
the finish at 40 plus mph, and got my head rattled pretty good.

Again, though, I never stated that cars were the reason helmets were
invented. I simply said it is riding in traffic, not running into a
squirrel, that hinders more people from getting on a bicycle. Advocacy
groups have done surveys that support this conclusion. Anyway, as has been
stated, mandatory helmet use equals less riders equals less driver
awareness/concern. There are a number of places in the world where people
generally forego helmets, and the bike accident/injury rate is lower than
in the U.S. Though nobody would deny that people in those places sometimes
fall off their bikes, and sometimes get injured or killed, and perhaps some
of those injuries or deaths could have been prevented by a helmet.

As I said earlier, humans apply logic, use denial, are sometimes rational,
sometimes not. I see the bicycle as, in Ivan Illich's words, a "convivial
tool." It is a beautiful, near perfect machine. One reason I find myself
feeling more and more out of sorts when I go out for the (now rare) fully
kitted "recreational" ride, is that it loses some of that conviviality for
me with all that "cycling specific" gear. My number one tool for safety is
visibility items--I commute with lights and a pretty nerdy looking safety
vest, day or night. That's so car drivers might catch me out of the corner
of their eye while they are looking up fantasy football results on their
"smart phone."

Unlike vocal helmet proponents, who can get mighty upset, dismissive, and
occasionally downright rude about it, I don't know of many people who don't
wear helmets, or sometimes choose to wear helmets (Grant is on record as
being helmetless during daylight hours and donning one after dark) who get
that hostile toward people who choose to wear helmets religiously.  I
certainly respect riders equally, regardless of whether they wear a helmet
or not. Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!