Just because a frame can take a certain width tire coertainly does not
mean it was or was not intended for a certain width tire.  Wider is not
always better.  Everyone has a sense of "just right" .  On my Bombadil I
prefer 40mm tires as I ride on the "road" , albeit patch paved and
sometimes very poor and even primitive road .  For offroad I would want a
tire wider than 50 or even 60mm , so we're speaking of a whole different
class of frame there.