Meade, I usually like the peace of mind that stitching gives me and usually
use a fairly heavy duty needle and thread and a pair of needle-nosed pliers
to push it through the heavy material (carefully!). However, on the patch
you recently sent with me, I chose a placement on my bag that had an inside
tool pocket that precluded the use of needle and thread. After trying a hot
iron without success, I heated the patch slightly, then used a hot glue gun
on the backside. I was careful not to get too close to the edge (back of)
the patch, but not so far that the edge would lift eventually. Then I
burnished it while still hot. A small amount of glue creeped outside the
patch's edge, but was very easy to scrape off once dry. An important tip
would be to not overdo the amount of glue applied, while covering as much
of the back of the patch as possible.
Only time (and maybe temperature) will tell if this method works, but it
lays flat now. If I could, I would put a small stitch into each corner for
insurance.

Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.