Gents - I don't want to hijack Michael's thread in which he was just
inquiring about BB widths, but I strolled down this very same path a while
back.  I was originally set up (read that "talked into") a 12-23 9-speed
cassette coupled with a 36/48 TA Zephyr Light double along with a TA Axix
BB.  This set up gave me a high gear of 106" (assume 171mm cranks), a low
gear of 42", and a "middle" (i.e., large chainring/middle cog of the
9-speed cassette) of 80".  This was over the top for most of the riding I
do around a mostly flat area with the occasional steeper climbs up from
river banks.

I like to have that "middle gear" to be as close as possible to 70", my
normal riding gear.  So I changed the cassette to a 14-25, which gave me a
high of 91", a low of 38", and a middle gear of 71".  Then, a couple of
years ago I began having all kinds of problems with the seals on that Axix
BB and really didn't like the lowest gear available with that Zephyr 36/48.
 So I began shopping around.  I saw that R.Hearse 28/44 - it looked
fantastic.  And it would have given me a low of 32", a high of 97", and a
middle gear of 73", very close to my desired sweet spot, if I had switched
back to the 12-23 cassette.  Cool enough, but at almost 3 times the cost of
the VO Grand Cru 34/48??!!  Man, I just couldn't get my arms around that.
 So I bought the VO and now I'm happy as a clam with a low of 36", a high
of 91", and a middle gear of 71".  I guess it's all a matter of personal
taste and willingness to spend the extra bucks.