A couple of my bikes have brifters (Foundry Auger - SRAM Rival 10s double
tap, Giordana - Campy/Sachs 8s Ergopower)
One has grip-twist shifters (Specialized Fatboy - 10s SRAM XO)
Two have bar-ends, both currently in indexed mode (Riv Road/650b - 10s
Shimano, Schwinn KOM - 9s Shimano)

I guess I'm saying that I prefer bar-ends on my touring bikes, but I'm ok
with index or brifters too.
Also, 10 speed Shimano bar-ends (index-only) are just $50 at Nasbar
<http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_578319_-1___204723>.  I'm
very happy with mine, especially paired with TRP RRL brake levers, whose
shape I prefer over the shape of Shimano brifters.

If you're gumming up the bar-ends with sweat residue, then it's a good
thing that they're easy to rebuild.
I presume that the hoods would keep most of your sweat from getting into
the mechanism on the brifters, but the Shimano brifters aren't easily
rebuildable.