>Right hand Shimano STI levers - especially those with the cable exiting
>sideways - are known for eating shifter cables.  Dear Steve,

The current generation (6800;9000;5800) 11-speed shimano shifters
reportedly eat cables faster than the 8/9s stuff ever did. The cables are
now consumables--replace cable inners with every other chain to be on the
safe side? The sad thing is that the minimum bend radius to prevent fraying
is known (or easily calculated anyway if the cable is specified), and
Shimano has consistently failed to make that effort. The Campagnolo shifter
drum is probably pretty close to that radius. Their 8/9/10s Ergo levers and
index-only downtube shifters didn't/don't eat cables at all. Honestly,
neither do Shimano's DT levers, but the Simplex and Suntour drums were
smaller sometimes did. I can't speak to bar-ends, as I've never really
warmed up to them. I reluctantly use them on cyclocross bikes (not
high-mileage machines, and the bike in a race only needs two gears--42X25
and something in the middle of the freewheel given my skills. I end up
running a lot), tried really hard to like them back when I first adopted
half-step gearing. John Forrester said they were the right thing to use
with that gear system, and I just can't agree. Downtube shifters win
there). If I must keep my hands on the bars (some tandems, mtb, and cx), I
prefer thumbshifters or Ergo levers.

Best,

Will
William M. deRosset