It may be vastly better, but I have to report never having had an issue
with the bracket style mount. Nevertheless, since I do not have that
option, I seek advice. What type of bolt head do people use so as to create
the least protrusion in the middle of the inside of the fender? Pudge, what
did you use for the Clementine above? Did you use a leather washer between
the fender and what looks like a long aluminum spacer?  (The other nice
thing about the bracket besides no protruding hardware inside the fender is
it gives you a bit of latitude in adjusting the fender line at this contact
point, both laterally and vertically. With the vastly better option, you
need to figure it out and measure twice, cut once.)