I have no experience with the CX 70, and very little with V brakes.  I did
have a pair of earlier Shimano cantis, mated to Ultegra brifters, and lots
of experience with Paul's brakes, and accessories.

The Shimono cantis I had were a precursor to the present offering, model
550 or something?  The setup was difficult and the stopping was awful.
 Salmon pads and Tektro levers improved both  the setup and performance to
average.

My wife briefly had a bike with V brakes, which gave me some familiarity.
 Everyone I know who has V brakes speaks highly of their performance but
keep in mind they were designed to stop a mt. bike on a single track
downhill, i.e. low speed, low weight, and steep descent.  Traditional road
touring bikes use cantis, which were designed to stop hi mass and hi speed
bikes.

I have Paul's Racer M's on my Ram, Racers on our tandem, and Neo-retros on
my Saluki.  By far I prefer the Neo-retros.  All of these brakes work very
well.  It's hard for me to compare the braking performance of a tandem and
single bike as there is just too many variables to consider, but if I had
to pick one brake it would be the neos.  They offer fantastic power and
optimal tire / fender clearance.  They do get rather grimy because cantis
sit below the fenders.

Many people find the Paul's difficult to set-up, but I believe that is
because they are thinking in Shimano.  The first couple of times can feel
confusing, despite good directions on the website, but after a couple of
times it feel pretty intuitive and goes in a straightforward way.  I find
it helpful with cantis to have a QR on the lever and a good barrel adjuster
to fine tune the final set-up.

I literally owe my life to my neo retros so I am without apology,  biased.

Michael