Hi, all,

A side note, and unfortunately a fair amount of thread drift, but after a
decade of tinkering around with my bike fit and a pile of different bikes,
I had my René Herse built back in 2008/9. Mike Kone started with a blank
sheet of paper, and he and I worked from various directions (historical;
personal history and experience; uses for the bike; aesthetics) to find the
very best solution for me (and this work eventually influenced some of his
commercial machines, though those are very much his bikes). Its fit
parameters turned out identical to... the 56 Heron Road (the front end is a
little different to accommodate a dedicated front loading geometry) or the
55 Heron Touring...  I have a 55 Heron Touring (on permanent loan to my
brother), and it fit beautifully with a long-ish stem. These really are
undersung, special machines, and they get a lot just right.

If I hadn't gotten bit fairly hard by the rando-bug and found integrated
bikes particularly convivial for that purpose, I'd probably have hunted
down a Heron Road (in Silver, so that I could differentiate between my
machines), and called off the search for marginal improvements. I ended up
with a few machines that fit my use-cases better than the Herons did (and I
turn out to really love a lighter tube spec than they offer), but that
doesn't take away their versatility, durability, and excellent low-key road
manners. They're great bikes, and only one of my machines wins out over
these "blue collar" machines aesthetically.

Best Regards,

Will
William M. deRosset
Fort Collins, CO