I only see one, maybe 2 posts at most, that seem non empathetic. The dispute is
over if momentary empathy is equal to researched, strategized cohesive action.
I'll say again, you need both, but only one will actually stop the problem.

In opposition to your befuddlement at what you view as a lack of empathy, I'm
somewhat befuddled by the lack of acknowledging expert advice.
In bikey terms: if we call up grant and ask for a custom carbon track bike on
wooden wheels, he can hang up. He is knows what he's doing and that we have an
idea that has been proven to be ineffective as a bike. Every group working in
the homeless field says to donate to a distributor. Again, for them this is not
a momentary action but a life work. Are they not empathetic? Are they not
sacrificing much more than the person with the dollar or the coat once a year?
Do they not know, from years of study and living with the community what works
and what doesn't?

I feel like "don't give directly" is being misinterpreted as "don't give at all
because it's useless". They aren't the same. I grew up in a house where people
without homes sometimes stayed, where our Holidays were spent bringing them
into our home. My parents still do this. My wife works 14 hr days and comes
home destroyed after dealing with families in complete crisis. All are highly
informed, and deeply connected with these communities. Neither my wife, nor my
parents give money or items directly. (I do). They are the most sacrificial and
empathetic people I know, but it doesn't line up with your view of the word. So
what does that mean?...It's so much more complex than role playing meant to
simulate empathy.