Interesting thread--and only eligible for non-off-topic status at RBW !;^)

My feeling is that, like all of our institutional tools--the medical
system, the educational system, the transportation system--our social
welfare/charitable system has in many ways gone beyond the second watershed
point that Ivan Illich talks about in his book Tools for Conviviality. That
second watershed is basically the point where the system starts to
prioritize its own existence over its original mission. Obviously with the
number of charities out there, the level of this bureaucratic dysfunction
varies widely, though a rule of thumb would generally be that the more
local, the better. Our community farm recently ran into a situation where
our town's Salvation Army, with virtually no notice, stopped its free lunch
program that we donated vegetables to, because it no longer "fit their
mission," according to the new-ish directors. So we partnered with a local
church and another local helping organization and the lunch is better than
ever.

In terms of the minority view here that the majority of people bring this
on themselves, a recent study in my region, the Hudson Valley, showed that
over 90 percent of people in our small cities here could not afford the
housing stock, going by the traditional recommended ratio of income earned
to income spent on housing. Many people are indeed a paycheck or an illness
from moving in with family or becoming homeless. And the economy, despite
what the mainstream media is trying to portray, is not going to be getting
better any time soon (in our lifetimes, or our kids, or...etc. Like it or
not, we have entered a contraction, and the always false premise of
continued growth on a finite planet is being exposed, though our plentiful
supply of demagogues will assign blame elesewhere, rather than admit it is
simply baked into the system) . Full disclosure: I work for an organization
that helps people with "affordable" housing.