Well explained, O Socrates! -- the main point being that there are types of
riding on a freewheel bike, and not encountered on a fixed bike, that
require, or at least benefit from, a rear brake, and that mere stopping
distance is not the only factor to consider.

You know, It's been so long since I did long, fast downhills on a bike that
I've forgotten many skills and equipment requirements for these skills.

I've largely concluded that *if* (1) you don't do fast downhills with
corners, and (2) you keep your equipment (notably the cable and its
attachment) in top form, and (3) you are not towing a trailer, and (4) you
are using calipers and not cantis or disks, then you'd be fine with just a
front and a freewheel. Of course, I am so timid on fast downhills that I
could *probably* get away with this, but there is always that very
unexpected decreasing radius or reverse cambered corner that may relegate
all this theoretical justification to the trash can.