I have 700 x 38 Bontrager CX0 tires on my carbon 'cross bike, and they're
excellent.  They roll really fast yet have decent grip on the edges.  Like
many supple/knobby tires, the tread wears out relatively quickly, though.

I picked up some 700 x 38 Challenge Gravel Grinder (race 120 tpi) tires as
spares, but since I picked up Dave N's Roadeo they'll go on that bike
first.  They're light weight and reported to roll really well.

The new Schwalbe G-One comes in a 700 x 38 size as well.  Looks tempting.