On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Nick Ybarra <nyba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Short answer to your question: yup!
>
> Also, looks great.  Congrats on the new bike!
>
> I used to have a Giordana XL-Super.  Rode great, loved that bike,
> definitely regret selling it.
>
> Nick in ATX

Thanks!  My 57 cm Giordana XL-Eco will be for sale soon.  Just over 4
pounds for F/F/HS, planes like a Wright Brother.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 4:58 PM, reynoldslugs <be...@perrylaw.net> wrote:

> p.s., that is a great looking Roadeo.  I have one with a similar paint job:
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/41563482@N06/albums/72157625377490164
>
> they are just terrific bikes.
>
> Max

Thanks!  The dark grey / kidney red is my favorite color combo as well.
I'm glad that they did some of the Roadeos and not just the Hunqs.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Chad <cschoentha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got my 53 Roadeo from Riv today.  Happy to hear the 38 Gravel
> Grinder tires fit. How do you like them? I was planning on running a Jack
> Brown or 35c tire for mixed terrain/gravel.  I've heard good things about
> the Clement XPlor USH and should fit the Roadeo.

I haven't ridden the Challenge Gravel Grinder tires yet.  I picked them up
at the Madison, WI bike swap, intended for my plastic 'cross/gravel bike.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the quite-similar Bontrager CX0 tires on that bike
(a Foundry Auger, with fenders of course!).

The GG tires have a raised file tread down the middle, and the knobs are
way over on the shoulders and shouldn't drag at all on normal road surfaces
(but help out in the occasional muddy spot).

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:02 PM, RJM <crccpadu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found the Compass Stampede Pass to be a better tire than the Jack Brown.
> It felt noticeably quicker to me on the same wheelset and I might say more
> comfortable. I didn't go wider than that though...and really, for the way I
> ride the Roadeo the thinner tires proved optimal. It's purely a fast road
> bike for me.

I'm #220, so skinny tires feel like I'm riding on a solid wheel.  Iowa has
multiple freeze cycles each winter and the roads are usually terrible.  So,
the only place that was comfortable to ride my Giordana on 700 x 26 Cerfs
is my local bike trail/MUP
<http://linncountytrails.org/maps/find-a-trail/cedar-river/>. The MUP gets
congested and boring, so I rarely ride it any more (leaving no role for a
skinny-tire-only bike in my stable).

My Riv Road barely clears a 700 x 28, and I was unsatisfied with that
situation.  Converting it to 650b x 38 made it ride great and way more
versatile.

I just prefer wider tires, and I can ride them fast if they're light and
supple.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 8:25 PM, WETH <erlhous...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim,
> What a lovely bike. It's going to look so cool when you are done.  I like
> that color scheme a lot.
> -Erl

Thanks,  It's my favorite Riv color scheme, and it was a huge factor in the
purchase decision.  It will look great with saddle-matching Brooks honey
bar tape (on order).

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Don Compton <dpco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What size are you using? As a current Roadeo owner who rides 95% on paved
> roads, 700x28's are my favorite. I have been using Grand Bios Cerfs for
> many years. I tried the new Compass 32's but they felt sluggish to me. I
> guess tires are really a personal choice. For me the Grand Bois and Compass
> tires are definitely a step above the Jack Browns.
> On another note, I hope that Tim will enjoy his Roadeo as much as I have.
> I have had a ton of bikes over the years, and have sold most of them
> because I just feel good riding my Roadeo, no matter the road surface or
> terrain.
> Enjoy
>
> I agree that the Compass tires are just about the fastest out there, and
they deliver a great ride.  I'm also very satisfied with the value
proposition of the Pari-Moto tires (Compass ride at half the price) but
those are 650b only for now (they're on my Riv Road and my girlfriend's
Soma San Marcos).

I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a fast 700 x 32-35; I think that
will be my favorite size on the Roadeo.  I'll ride it primarily on
pavement, but occasionally on crushed lime trails and gravel roads.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Toshi Takeuchi <tto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I ride my Roadeo with Grand Bois Cypres tires.  I have ridden that on
> several miles of fire roads, so it handles fine on dirt too.  I have also
> used Schwalbe Kojaks on the bike and they ride nicely too (although the
> Grand Bois is more cushy).
>
> Enjoy your bike!!
>
> Toshi

Thanks!

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Tim Wood <timwood...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow! Congrats on the new bike Tim, it's beautiful. Definitely my favourite
> Riv color combo. The more I look at roadeos the more I want to sell my 15lb
> carbon race bike and buy one - and since I got my Clem it just hangs in the
> garage collecting dust anyway.  I had my heart set on a boulder all road or
> an ocean air rambler 650 rig for my "go fast" but hearing that the roadeo
> fits 38s has peaked my interest. Your fit and saddle height look bang on
> there, what is your pbh?
>
> Tim

Thanks, fellow Tim!  It's my favorite Riv color combo as well. Hearing that
the Roadeo clears 700 x 38 was an "Oh, Really?" moment for me as well.

Funny, the seat and handlebar position are totally eyeballed.  The cockpit
was a direct lift from my Giordana, where I had the bar/lever angle well
dialed-in.  I'll do a real fit on my Roadeo once I get the crank installed
(need a longer BB, on order).  My pbh is 89 cm, so I think the seat will go
up a bit.  Since I already have a 59 Riv Road Standard, I knew the 59
Roadeo would fit me well.

I weighed it this morning.  As pictured, it weighs 20 lbs (without the
crank, it was just resting on there for the pic).  The crankset, bar wrap,
and chain will probably push it just above 21 lbs.  Not bad for a build
with 20 year old components!  No carbon anywhere, leather saddle, steel
bottle cages, 38 mm tires.

In other words, sell the carbon race bike!

Thanks,
Tim Gavin

My build:

59cm Rivendell Roadeo <http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/f-roadeo.htm>, dary
grey/kidney red
Cane Creek classic headset
Shimano UN-55 bottom bracket, 113 mm (on order)
King Iris bottle cages

Sachs New Success group
<http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?GroupID=26ca8261-b12c-4600-80fc-9f83c6f1458d>
:
8 speed Ergopower shifter/brake levers
<http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=a32194c7-7ae5-47aa-b7eb-3f4a6264b50e&Enum=118>
(made by Campagnolo)
Sachs New Success double crankset
<http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=c037a215-c21a-44ca-8db6-8de597fae6c9&Enum=115>
(135 bcd, made by Campagnolo)
Campagnolo chain rings, 52 and 39
Sachs New Success FD
<http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=bfd29ccf-e51c-429f-8b15-9ac0cdfd02a8&Enum=113>,
double (made by Huret)
Sachs New Success RD
<http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Sachs_New_Success_derailleur.html>,
short cage (made by Huret)

Wheels:
Mavic Open Pro rims, 28 hole
Shimano 600 tricolor hubs
<http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=1E5F0209-4650-4284-B009-14E4658367FA&Enum=110&AbsPos=304>,
Hyperglide/Uniglide compatible freehub
<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/images/k7hub-3-stylessm.jpg>
12-28 Shimano cassette

Cockpit:
Nitto B115 Classic handlebars, (I need to measure the width)
Nitto Technomic stem, 11 cm extension
Brooks leather bar tape, honey (on order)
Mystery lightweight Al seatpost (came with the Giordana)
Brooks B17 Special saddle