That's another theory--patience. I'm glad the issue seems to be resolving
for you. I thought I read on a blug post that the clicks could be ignored,
and in fact I did not pay much attention to them. Then I read on the
catalog description page on Riv that the first 3 gears are one click and
the rest are two, so maybe you have to get it in a click. I shifted mostly
as though it were friction--waiting until it ran smooth and was (seemingly)
engaged. But it would shift under pressure. Maybe because it was not
actually in a click setting? Whatever. I don't need the at my fingertips
shifting anyway--don't shift all that often, and I like stem shifters just
fine. I don't want to be walking on eggshells when I am putting some
pressure on the pedals. And the handlebars now have room for mirror and
bell.