I think some of the Raleigh bikes might make a good choice, here's an
example of one presently on sale from REI:
http://www.rei.com/product/784368

It looks rather nice with an aluminum frame, 24 gears, lights, fenders
and rack.  Not exactly a Mixte/step-through, but it has a sloping top
tube.

Another attractive possibility:
http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/bike_path/bellevillewsd/

The Trek, a true Mixte, also with fenders and lights, it comes with a
3-speed hub, but it would not probably be too difficult to switch it
out to a hub gear with more speeds.

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ