Austin, to me it sounds like your mother needs two bikes.
One set up with rack/panniers for grocery shopping.
and one that's maybe less heavy with lots of hill climbing gears that
she can go 30-50 miles on.
She obviously doesn't need a heavy mtn bike for 40 mile paved road
rides, and she will not want to take the rack/panniers on and off every
time she goes to the store for groceries.  Even a nice hybrid might be
pretty uncomfortable on 30-40 mile rides...especially the straight bars.
She does *not* sound like some old lady who needs a beach cruiser to
tootle round her cul-de-sac in the suburbs.  She sounds like she wants
to put some miles on.  (I'm 55 by the way)
I'd recommend a lighter weight steel touring bike with maybe 25width
kevlar tires and mountain range gearing.  that'll do any kind of ride
for her.
Maybe she could just dedicate her current bike for groceries then, and
have a nice rack and grocery bag panniers on it.
Lisa