I've put fenders on a lot of different bikes over the years. Some plastic.
Mostly metal ones, like Honjos and Velo-Orange.

A couple of things I've found:

I have not found any dual-pivot brake that has as much clearance for
fenders as most single-pivot brakes. Yes, I've tried some of the
higher-clearance dual-pivot models, but if it's a question of needing every
spare millimeter you can get between the fender and the brake,
single-pivots will almost certainly work better. This is more the case with
brakes up to 57 mm reach (what people used to call "normal reach" back in
the day) than it is with greater than 57 mm reach.

With aluminum fenders, again if you're looking at relatively tight
clearance and you need every spare millimeter, the daruma bolt mount under
the fork crown oftentimes projects a little too far into the tire space. In
some cases, I have used a dremel tool to shorten the daruma bolt (got to be
careful not to take off too much, rendering it useless) and tried to find
the thinnest possible nut. I once ground one down a bit when I couldn't
find a thinner nut -- it's not fun.

On my Rivendell with canti-brakes, I had my easiest fender-mounting
experience ever. I used the daruma bolt under the fork crown and had no
trouble at all -- it was the first time I didn't feel compelled to shorten
it any. I've got 45 mm velo-orange fenders, and 33.3 mm Jack Brown tires,
and there's still a bunch of space there. I could go up to 40mm or so in
tires and still have clearance. On the back, the seat-stay and chain-stay
bridges were already drilled and tapped for fender mounting -- such a nice
thing.

Kyle Brooks
Akron, OH, USA