David, everybody,

Just registered my wife and I for the 100km. We thought about the English
century, but we have to arrange babysitting and bring the kids down to
Redlands. A hundred miler might take too much time. Probably my mom (KC)
and dad will participate in the half-metric event.

I've never been on the course, but it seems the trails around there are a
bit smoother than our fire roads, which are rutted, rocky things that most
people tackle with 29ers, Jeeps, and lifted trucks. Would a 41 mm Knard /
40 mm Nano combo on my Soma Double Cross be fine? Not overkill, I hope. My
wife has to decide between her Glorius, Romulus, or 29er. She has Hetres on
the Glorius, and if she takes it I thought we might want to put in tire
liners. I don't get a ton of thorns here in the San Gabriels, but I hear
goat heads are more common around Redlands.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We like to ride fast and light when
possible, but I'm not looking to get any "under-biking awards"  :)

Dave in Wrightwood