When I first built my '03 Atlantis (51 cm), a friend gave me an earful of
criticism for have 26" wheels--"Your bike will be too slow. "You should've
gotten 700cc wheels." Ugghhhhh. Really, I've been riding/commuting on this
bike, off and on, for 13 years. It's the most comfortable bike I've ever
had, 26" wheels and all. I'm 5'9" tall with a long torso, short legs. The
combination of wheel and frame size on my Atlantis suit me perfectly. I
think the conventional wisdom on issues of wheel size being more or less
efficient should be taken with a grain of salt. I've seen people on 20"
wheel folding bike blow right past me. Yeah, I'm not the fastest rider, but
not the slowest either.

I remember sometime ago somewhere that Grant had wrote something about the
aesthetics of wheel/frame size. The gist was that 700cc wheels on smallish
frames made the bike look funky; 26" wheels where better proportioned to
smaller frame sizes, which, aesthetically, is a good call on his part.
Grant's philosophy behind bike design and riding is what brought me to
choosing a Riv over everyone else.

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway), I agree with Deacon and others,
it's just a wheel, there is no ideal; it's all about compromise, and I
think what it comes down to is comfort and aesthetics.