We run 26" wheels on our touring tandem.  We are a tall ( 6'1" & 5'9") and
heavy (360 lbs) team.  Add in a heavy steel frame at 40+ lbs, front and
real panniers, water, etc and our touring weight runs around 430lbs, and
day rides a bit over 400 lbs.  Yet we have been riding the same 26", 36
spoke wheels ( instead of the traditional 48 spoke 700C) for 5 years
without any problems.  I believe / suspect that the shorter spoke lengths
make for a stronger wheel.  We use a V shaped (DaVinci) rim and 38mm
(Marathon Racer) tires, which do a good job of protecting the wheels.  So
yes, I would say, from my experience, 26" is an excellent choice for a
fully loaded touring bike.  Ours is a travel tandem, and as has been noted,
the 26" wheels pack more conveniently.  The only downside I have found is
the length of the head tube, which puts even a large front bag out of reach
of a decaleur.  We use a small Acorn bag.  Not as convenient, but no
decaleur required.

All that said, if I were starting from scratch, I would choose 650B wheels
& canti brakes for a touring bike.  I have that combination on both a
Saluki and a Trek 620 conversion.  The wheel size, frame geometry, and tire
selection hit a real sweet spot.

What I find more puzzling in recent RBW designs is the preference for
double TTs in designs of 64cm & below.  It definitely looks like a solution
in search of a problem.  I wouldn't hesitate to head out for self supported
touring on a single tube, 64cm Atlantis.

Michael
in Westford Vt, where three days of constant sub zero temperatures ended in
freezing rain.  UGH.