I'm a fan of Rivendell because it slakes (and also increases) my thirst for
craft and quality, beauty and utility, fun and freedom — and community,
too. Grant, with his writings and with his bicycle designs and with the
products he sells, has created a world that I want to live in. In this
world I ride fast and climb easily. I eat bacon and never jog. I fell trees
with Swedish steel. And my calendar is crowded with Riv rides and with Riv
friends.

Now, to somewhat address John's question: Did *design* build Rivendell? For
me, no. Words built Rivendell.