John -- what exactly do you design?

When I took my MBA courses some 18 years ago, one of the big buzzwords was
"perception of value" -- you want to convince customers that you are
providing "value," so that they will give you money. I thought it strange
that they emphasized "perception" and not "value," but the motive for this
focus is evident when you consider that, after all, most organization are
run "abstractly" by professional managers who "manage by numbers" and who
have no real contact with, let alone love for, the product or service that
their companies sell.

Here beginneth a spluttering rant: A entire way of life ("economy" is,
after all, a way of living, including a worldview) based on conning the
customer (buy at the highest price what we make at the lowest price even if
you don't really need or want it) can't be healthy, despite the very
obvious technological advances made by this system. It's essentially a
con-man paradigm.

Rivendell makes and sells what it loves. Some of those things are very
weird, but, to quote again, "we are product driven, not market driven."