I have an 80 PBH and comfortably fit a 51cm SH and 48 or 51 Hunq (went 48
for more standover clearance for trail riding). I briefly had a 55cm
Cheviot but sold it. One primary reason being that I missed the top tube
since I was constantly lugging it up and down stairs. But also because it
felt too big and unwieldy. The Rivendell sizing logic with the Cheviot is
that since there is no top tube then standover doesn't matter so go big. I
think it would have been a different story if I went 50cm, as a lot of
people really like this bike. I say go smaller if its within your range
(which it appears the you're on the upper end of the PBH range on the 55),
but...definitely call Rivendell and tell them your concern as others have
mentioned, they'll most likely validate that both sizes will work give you
good advice on which way to go based on that without pushing you one way or
the other. I feel that with all their other bikes they have strong
recommendations but the Cheviot and Clems are different due to the lack of
available sizes hence the PBH overlap b/w sizes. Just my .02, but Rivendell
will guide you best.