Dear Tony,
Thanks for taking time to meet for coffee and to see the Romulus.  I enjoy your
writing and photos as always.  Thanks for the photo of me with the bike,

Dear Michael,
I'll do my best and hope my measurements are accurate enough.

The ride is lovely, smooth and stable.  It is similar to my Atlantis with 26"
wheels.  Clearance on the Romulus with Soma 650b x38 (35mm on my rims) tires is
great everywhere but the chain stays. There is about 6mm clearance at the
stays.

For some comparison between bikes, my Atlantis (26" wheels) measures about
275mm from the center of the crankset bolt to the ground/85 mm to ground from
the bottom of the 170mm crank arm in 6 o'clock position (Compass 26 x 1.75
tires), and the Romulus measures about 265mm from the center of the crankset
bolt to the ground/78 mm to ground from the bottom of the 165mm crank arm in 6
o'clock position (Soma 650b x38 tires).  So pedal clearance for me is fine and
within a centimeter to the clearance on my Atlantis.  In 40 miles of riding I
have yet to strike the pedal.  The shorter crank arm helps, and I do not notice
a difference from 170mm to 165mm-though some are sensitive to changes in crank
arm length.

When I converted my Riv Road Stnd to 650b with 170mm cranks, I struck the pedal
on occasion.  However I was vigilant, and it wasn't a problem for me as Olof
has already written for himself.  However, not everyone would be comfortable
with that.  When I put the Riv Road back to 700x28 tires, the ride was harsh in
comparison to 650b.  Hope this helps.

One final observation that I made to Ron earlier in this thread, I needed every
millimeter of reach on the Tektro R559s! On my Riv Road Stnd 650b conversion I
didn't need the entire reach the brakes provided. FYI.

All the best,
Erl